Twitter status (view all)

    Sleep? I remember that word.

    The picture above is of Tyler yawning. I figured it was appropriate for this post, even though Sarah and I are the ones doing the yawning.

    My son isn't doing such a hot job of realizing that nighttime is for sleeping and daytime is for being awake. He likes to sleep during the day, and scream during the night.

    We were finally discharged from the hospital yesterday afternoon, after 6 days there. Sarah kinda went downhill on Monday afternoon, into Tuesday. Nothing to get worried about, but she was having lots of intense pain as a result of the C-Section. I actually caught a glimpse of the surgery. After Tyler was "born" I went to the other side of the room with him and our midwife, Michelle. I looked back to Sarah a few times and would say things like, "He's got your cheeks", or, "He's beautiful".

    Well, the last time I looked over, I turned a little too far to the right and caught a glimpse of her midsection. It's something you never, never, never want to see happening to someone you love. The word "C-Section" is thrown around too casually now. A very close friend hit the nail on the head by saying "It is MAJOR ABDOMINAL SURGERY".

    Anyway, the couple days following the surgery were very, very painful for Sarah. The Percocet only took the edge off the pain, but it was still there. You top that all with the fact that it was a very less-than-ideal weekend, and you have a girl that was just emotionally spent. She just wanted to give up, and that was hard to watch.

    We had high hopes of walking out of the hospital yesterday, but she was in too much pain. Sarah ended up being wheeled down in a wheelchair. She could barely walk up the stairs in the house. If she sat down for more than 5 minutes, she couldn't stand back up. It quite literally took her 10 minutes to get off the couch yesterday. It's very horrible. We know that everything that happened was completely necessary, but that doesn't make the recovery any easier.

    So, last night was our first night at home with Tyler. My goodness. I don't know how often he was up. I was so tired, that it was too depressing to look at the clock... so I didn't. Finally, at 5am, I grabbed him, came downstairs, and closed all the doors between Sarah and us. I wanted Sarah to get at least some sleep. I ended up in the computer room. I looked at Tyler and told him that he was just going to have to cry it out. He had just been fed and changed, so now he needed to sleep. I just sat there and held him for about 20 minutes of screaming. No tears, just screaming. And he had no interest, at all, in the pacifier. Then... he just fell asleep. After another 20 minutes, I figured he was out for a while. I went into the living room, lied down on the couch with Tyler on my chest, and fell asleep for 2 hours. It was a glorious 2 hours. Sarah finally came down, very happy to have gotten 3 hours of sleep.

    And guess what? We get to do it all again, because he is screaming his head off even as I finish this last sentence...

    No comments:

    Post a Comment